Paramount Pictures' Rango easily commanded the North American box office this weekend as the Johnny Depp-voiced feature easily beat out three other newcomers: the Matt Damon and Emily Blunt romantic fantasy The Adjustment Bureau, the Alex Pettyfer and Vanessa Hudgens Beauty and the Beast reimagining Beastly, and the Topher Grace '80s laffer Take Me Home Tonight.
The nowadays rare 2D computer-animated feature was directed by Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Caribbean) and also features the voice talents of Ilsa Fisher, Bill Nighy, Ned Beatty and Abigail Breslin. The wild, at times just plain weird PG-rated comedy was a hit with critics.
Here are the top 10 films of the week according to ticket sales:
1. 'Rango', 38.0 million dollars.
2. 'The Adjustment Bureau', $ 20.9 million.
3. 'Beastly', $ 10.1 million.
4. 'Hall Pass', $ 9.0 million.
5. 'Gnomeo and Juliet', $ 6.9 million.
6. 'Unknown', $ 6.6 million.
7. 'The King's Speech', $ 6.5 million.
8. 'Just Go With It', $ 6.5 million.
9. 'I Am Number Four, $ 5.7 million.
10. 'Justin Bieber: Never Say Never', $ 4.3 million.