By Mack Chico
The thrid sequel to Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides had their best results abroad, which broke box office records with $256.3 million dollars, and $90.1 million in North America which gave it first place at the box office this weekend.
The new film, shot in 3D, do not have co-stars Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom, but retain Johnny Depp as Captain Sparrow. Rob Marshall takes the reins from Gore Verbinsky, who led the original trilogy. Penélope Cruz and Ian McShane were introduced as new characters.
The film leader from last week, Thor, fell to third place in its third week with $15.5 million and now totals $145.4 million.
The estimates of ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at theaters in the U.S. and Canada are:
1. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, $90.1 millon.
2. Bridesmaids, $21 millon.
3. Thor, $15.5 millon.
4. Fast Five, $10.6 millon.
5. Rio, $4.7 millon.
6. Priest, 4.6 millon.
7. Jumping the Broom, $3.7 millon.
8. Something Borrowed, $3.4 millon.
9. Water For Elephants, $2.2 millon.
10. Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Big Happy Family, $990,000 million.