Lady Gaga and Katy Perry appeared on the music scene in 2008 bringing so much heat that in the span of only five years they have become the epitome of pop music. What makes these divas great is not only their controversial and catchy music, but their eccentric personas and style.
But since we all love a little competition, the question is… Who is the greatest pop star of the two? Let’s find out!
Round One: Music
– Lady G has achieved 8 hit singles in her career: “Poker Face,” “Just Dance” (2008 debut studio album “The Fame”), “Bad Romance,” “Telephone,” Alejandro” (2009 ep “The Fame Monster”), “Born This Way,” “Judas” and “The Edge of Glory” (2011 “Born This Way”).
– Katy Perry has achieved 11 top singles: “I Kissed a Girl,” “Hot n Cold,” “Thinking of You,” Waking up in Vegas” (2008 debut record “One of the Boys”), “California Gurls,” “Teenage Dream,” “Firework,” “E.T.,” “Last Friday Night” (2010 “Teenage Dream”) “Part of Me” and “The One That Got Away” (2012 reissue of “Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection”) For “Teenage Dream”. Katy was named the first female to achieve five No. 1 Hot 100 songs and tied with Michael Jackson’s “Bad.” Furthermore, according to the RIAA Katy Perry comes in at No. 3 with 29.5 million digital singles sold and Lady Gaga at No. 4 with 28.5 million sold.
Edge: The numbers surely don’t lie, Katy Perry wins this round. But in the game of pop it is not just about the music, it is also about the acknowledgments.
Round Two: Awards and Recognitions
– Katy has won: 0 Grammys, 4 VMAs, 13 ASCAP and 5 Billboard Music Awards totaling 22; and has won 123 overall. She was also named No. 6 in Forbes highest earning celebs under 30.
– Mother Monster has won: 5 Grammys, 13 VMAs, 5 ASCAP, and 7 Billboard Music Awards totaling 30; and 191 awards overall. She was also named No. 1 in Forbes highest earning celebs under 30.
Edge: Hands down it is Lady Gaga.
Round three: Style
It’s not a secret that these two singers make news with their fashion alone.
– Since her rise to stardom Perry has been known for her pin up girl style with a candy twist, rocking her jet black hair, colorful wigs and whipped cream bras. She is definitely always fun, youthful and vibrant.
When it comes to eccentric, Gaga doesn’t even begin to cover it because she is in a category all of her own always trying to outdo herself. She even created the Haus of Gaga – team in charge of creating all of her clothing, props, stage sets, and makeup – to keep up with herself. Do you recall the meat dress and bleeding body suit and shoes from the VMAs? Lady G is so stylish that according to Haper’s Bazaar, she has even inspired the designs of top fashionistas like Dolce & Gabana, Oscar de la Renta and Prada.
Edge: No argument here, Lady Gaga wins this round.
Winner: And with two wins, Lady Gaga knocks out Katy Perry and takes the official title of the greatest pop star. Congrats Lady G!
Let us know what you think about this pop-off and if you agree with the win. Leave your comments below!