By Jack Rico
This is one of the rare weeks where Hollywood is releasing movies I really want to go see, whether it’d be because of the leads in the movie (Ryan Gosling, Kristen Wiig) or the intriguing premise (The Conjuring, Turbo). Whatever it may be, I usually don’t experience this sort of excitement for a movie week. I’ve seen a few of these, but will watch the rest of them and you should circle back this week to read my reviews. I’m going to rank them in order of my interest level…
1. ‘Only God Forgives’ Synopsis: Julian, a drug-smuggler thriving in Bangkok’s criminal underworld, sees his life get even more complicated when his mother compels him to find and kill whoever is responsible for his brother’s recent death.
2. ‘The Conjuring’ Synopsis: Paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren work to help a family terrorized by a dark presence in their farmhouse. Forced to confront a powerful entity, the Warrens find themselves caught in the most terrifying case of their lives.
3. ‘Turbo’ Synopsis: A freak accident might just help an everyday garden snail achieve his biggest dream: winning the Indy 500.
4. ‘Girl Most Likely’ Synopsis: A failed New York playwright awkwardly navigates the transition from Next Big Thing to Last Year’s News.
5. ‘RED 2’ Synopsis: Retired black-ops CIA agent Frank Moses reunites his unlikely team of elite operatives for a global quest to track down a missing portable nuclear device.
6. ‘R.I.P.D’ Synopsis: A recently slain cop joins a team of undead police officers working for the Rest in Peace Department and tries to find the man who murdered him.